YMCA of the Northwoods
2003 E Winnebago St
Rhinelander, WI 54501-8876
Under the direction of the Program Director or Executive in charge the Summer Day Camp Counselor, in harmony with the Christian nature and Mission of the YMCA shall be responsible for the safety and well-being of children in their
care. The role of the Summer Day Camp Counselor is to build relationships with and between; staff, members, volunteers, program participants and the communities the YMCA serves. Specifically, the role of the Summer Day
Camp Counselor is to assist the Lead Counselor in providing daily activities and maintain the environment of the children in their care. This includes assisting with planning and implementation of curriculum and developmentally
appropriate activities within the children’s environment.
1. Actively participate in planning and conducting daily activities, assisting Lead Counselor in all areas of the care of children.
2. Provide frequent, positive and warm interaction with children. Utilize positive guidance techniques which promote self-esteem and personal growth for children.
3. Consult with Lead Counselor regarding child’s progress and maintain effective parent relations by daily communication. Assist ongoing documentation on individual children.
4. Act as a mandated reporter and conduct daily on-going health evaluations of children to ensure safety and well-being of each child, reporting conditions that require attention.
5. Actively participant in meetings, in-services, camp activities and special events. Contribute knowledge and guidance.
6. Adhere to all DCF 252 Licensing Rules for Wisconsin guidelines
7. Maintain updated entries to the Registry of Wisconsin and work to continually improve quality of programming per YoungStar guidelines.
8. Perform all other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Builds effective, supportive relationships with members and working relationships with employees.
Supports fund-raising projects. Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. At least 18 years of age
2. Effective verbal and written communication skills, along with the ability to effectively implement and share knowledge with staff.
3. Certification in First Aid and CPR or the ability to attain at time of hire. The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
4. Ability to easily move through all areas of the childcare space
5. Maintain concentration, focusing on multiple tasks simultaneously
6. Manage time effectively and meet deadlines
7. Knowledge of YoungStar quality guidelines and ability to meet them.
EFFECT ON END RESULTS:
1. Effective relationship building that manifests into personal relationships with other members, staff, volunteers, and families
2. Works well with other staff to promote YMCA values
3. Models the YMCA mission and values while on the job
4. Maintains and grows high quality programs for participants
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, speak and hear. Sitting, 50%, walking and/or standing 50%. Lifting and/or moving occasionally up to 50 pounds.